July 04, 2009

The Fuzzy Pink Flip Flops

Yesterday we took a family trip to the Columbus Zoo. They were having a promotion this week allowing military families to visit for free! The weather was very nice; not too hot, not too sunny, but warm and breezy with some clouds. Perfect zoo weather. We all had fun except for Melody, but she's not been having much fun with anything recently. We did, however, hit a very unexpected bump in our trip.

Being the disorganized mom that I am, I forgot something. It wasn't something normal, like a diaper or the camera. I forgot...my shoes. Dominic loaded the kids in the car before we left and I was responsible for getting everything else, which took a few trips (books, snacks, diapers, money, hats, sunblock, bug spray, and Melody's shoes). I remembered that I needed shoes, and while I was upstairs I grabbed my socks because I was planning on wear my Converse. Why didn't I just wear my flip flops? I don't know. But over the course of my trips to the car I forgot to grab my shoes. I had planned to put my shoes on in the car, but Dominic surprised me by being in the passenger seat, so I drove us to the gas station. Melody was throwing a fit so I crawled in the back and soothed her to sleep, forgetting all about my shoes.

We live about an hour and 20 minutes away from the Columbus Zoo. We drove and parked (very far away from the entrance because it was pretty packed). I immediately remembered that I had no shoes. I froze. I had no idea what to do. How can I be at the zoo, over an hour away from home, and have no shoes?? The kids were getting antsy and Julian knew that we were here. I searched the car for anything I could make into a shoe, but had no luck! I put on my white socks, but I was wearing capri pants so it was pretty hard to hide the fact that I wasn't wearing shoes. We got out and began the long walk to the entrance, in my socks. We planned to try and find some shoes in the gift shop if we could get into the zoo. The lines for tickets were very long. We stood out there for at least 20 minutes waiting to get tickets. I tried to hide my feet under the stroller. Then I saw it. A big sign with the zoo rules, one of which being that shoes must be worn at all times. I panicked. I could not load the kids up again in the car. They'd freak out. I could not go by myself all the way back to the car and try to find somewhere to buy shoes and then come back and find my family because we only had one cell phone. I didn't know what to do. So I just stood there in line, panicking and nervous and feeling completely stupid. We tried to come up with stories to tell the zoo workers if somebody stopped me, but ultimately we decided that the truth would be the best idea. I was really worried that we wouldn't be able to find any shoes. We finally got our tickets and then tried to hurry our way in. Nobody said anything about my feet. We made a bee-line for the gift shop and to my horror all we could find were children's crocs. The biggest was a size 12 and it wouldn't fit on my foot (not to mention that I hate crocs)! I was upset, and I stayed there while Dominic went off to look a little more thoroughly. Then he appeared with some fuzzy pink flip flops! In adult sizes! So I happily bought them and wore them all day :)

Here are the shoes that saved the day:


The day was fairly uneventful after we found some shoes. It was very crowded, so the cooler exhibits (like the aquarium, reptiles, and tide pools) were too crowded to really enjoy (especially with a stroller). Melody yelled at random people most of the day. Julian had fun, and I wore my cute sun hat. Dominic stayed calm and collected even when I got irritated and wanted to yell at everyone. He's been doing that a lot lately :)
Here are some pictures of our day:





























4 comments:

  1. i am seriously cracking up right now. you're too funny. ;)
    cute flippy floppies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was hilarious! I'm telling you--between your birth research and your anecdotal life, you could write a bestseller. I would buy at least 10 copies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am seriously rolling on the floor laughing with tears. Leave it to you to get everyone else ready to go and you forget shoes. Just too funny. And I totally agree with Andrea, you could write a book about your life, and I know I would buy it. Keep smiling my dear sister, it's these moments that make us really appreciate our lives.

    Your sister, SHERRY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loaded up the girls one time to go to Meijers with Gregg. I was exhausted... little sleep. I didn't realize until I went to go into the store that I was wearing fuzzy pink house slippers, not my tennis shoes. Like you, though, there was no way I was going anywhere else after all the work to get the kids there! I did my shopping in house slippers that day LOL

    ReplyDelete